Our Pecora-Deck Traffic Coating Product Line offers a variety of customizable options to suit the specific project needs of our customers. From quartz blends and vinyl chip aggregates to a wide range of color options, our coatings are versatile and adaptable, catering to both functional and aesthetic requirements. For this week’s blog post, we explain the application process of applying a decorative vinyl chip option for Pecora Deck 8013VC Pedestrian System.
- Surface preparation
- Prime concrete with Pecora P-801-VOC (<100g/L) or P-808 (<450g/L)¹ primer at 250 to 350 square feet per gallon. Allow primer to dry 1-8 hours.
- Apply base coat of Pecora 802 Base Coat at 50 square feet per gallon using a ¼” notched squeegee. (Must apply base coat the same day as priming, otherwise reprime.”
- Apply base coat to cure overnight (minimum).
- Apply Pecora 806 top Coat at 100 square feet per gallon using a 1/8” notched squeegee.
- Broadcast 16-30 mesh aggregate² at 10-15 pounds per 100 square feet white the Pecora 806 Top Coat is still fluid. Immediately backroll to encapsulate the aggregate.
- While the Pecora 806 Top Coat is still fluid, broadcast 2mm decorative vinyl chips at a rate of 2 lbs./100 ft² (as shown below) to 8 lb./per 100 ft² (not shown). The vinyl chip coverage rate is determined by the final appearance desired.
- Allow the 806 Top Coat to cure overnight.
- Apply 806 Clear Top Coat at 80 square feet per gallon using a 3/16” notched squeegee. Backroll with ½” nap roller for even coverage.
- Allow Top Coat to cure 24-48 hours prior to opening to traffic.
Installed Thickness: mils (millimeters) excluding aggregate
Base Coat 32 (.81) 26 (.67)
Top Coat 16 (.40) 11 (.28)
Clear Top Coat 20 (.51) 11 (.28)
Total 68 (1.72) 48 (1.23)
CAUTION: Pecora deck 800 forms a non-breathing membrane and therefore is generally not used on-grade or outside on concrete surfaces poured over vapor barriers (such as vented metal decks or between slab membranes). Consult Pecora Technical Service for applications on-grade, over unvented metal decks or concrete with between slab membranes.
¹ Check local VOC regulations for product compliance prior to installing deck coating primer.
² Employees using crystalline silica must wear an approved respirator if the exposure is above the permissible exposure level. Consult manufacturer’s guidelines for safety practices.
Back To Blog